The truth is that most of us would like to make extra money each month.
Living paycheck to paycheck is a real bummer and having additional ways to bring in extra income can keep us afloat.
If you find yourself making too little or spending too much, then you may appreciate these 21 surprisingly easy ways to make $500 a month.
If you haven’t already, go to my post on 5 Easy Ways to Make $100 or More a Month. I show you ways you can literally make money sitting on your butt.
Making an extra $500 a month or more can be life-changing, and that’s why I encourage people to find easy ways to bring in additional income.
Not only can these money makers help to make ends meet, but they can keep you from having to get another job.
Related: 25 Side Hustles to Start Now
I have signed up with several survey companies and never was consistent in completing them. However, when I realized how easily and quickly I could earn cash, I set some time each day to complete them.
With one company, in particular, I’m able to earn around $100 to $150 a month or more. If you diversify your efforts among several companies, making an extra $500 should be pretty easy.
Swagbucks is still my favorite when completing surveys. Even though they have many opportunities to earn Swagbucks to redeem later for gift cards, completing their surveys is where I focus most of my time and attention.
I like to go for the surveys worth a lot of points because even though they may take 30 or more minutes to complete, you’ll know almost immediately if you don’t qualify or if they’re not accepting any more people.
Sign up for Swagbucks and earn $5.
Another popular survey company, Toluna, has a modern and easy to use interface which allows you to earn points for surveys. These points can then be redeemed for gift cards.
I like how many different survey types available for you to complete.
Too busy to complete a whole survey? Complete their Quickvotes, which you can answer quick questions to earn points. You will also know immediately if you don’t qualify for a survey or if it’s full.
You will also receive a huge bonus for just signing up to Toluna, so check them out.
This is a popular survey company and you’re able to earn money from completing surveys.
I’ve heard through the grapevine that Vindale offers $100 surveys, but I haven’t come across those yet. The surveys you are offered depend on your demographics.
I now only complete short surveys with them because my time is too valuable to waste without some sort of compensation.
Other Survey Companies to consider signing up for:
Like to shop? If so, you may be interested in mystery shopping.
Years ago when I was in-between jobs, I would spend a lot of time completing shops for several companies.
Mystery shopping involves accepting a shop and completing it as specified. You are usually reimbursed for your purchase and/or given a fee for the shop.
Your job is to see if employees know their stuff and rate their customer service skills. So if you’re someone who loves completing Yelp reviews, you will love going mystery shopping.
You can make more money if you sign up for several companies and is very organized and detailed in submitting reports. I also recommend only accepting shops in your local area. It doesn’t make sense to
I also recommend only accepting shops in your local area. It doesn’t make sense to waste your money on gas because this will not likely be reimbursed.
In addition, consider the amount of money you’re willing to spend up front.
Though you are often reimbursed, there’s a limit and you may have to wait awhile to get your money back. This is a good side gig, so don’t depend on it take the place of your income.
Some Mystery Shopping companies I recommend:
Start a Blog
If you’re looking to make some side money or replace your full-time income, blogging can be an easy way to bring in $500 or more each month.
Many small and mid-size blogs are easily bringing in over hundreds and thousands each month, so the possibilities are there. If you have an interest in a great niche, you can make money blogging.
Consider, however, that making money from blogging is not immediate and will take some consistency on your part, so don’t create one on a topic you’re not passionate about.
Some bloggers I know are profitable in the first six months of starting a blog, so if you have something to share with the world, start blogging. If you haven’t already, go over and read my post on How to Start a Blog.
- Building a Framework by Abby Lawson from Just a Girl and Her Blog. This book is a great resource for someone interested in making money with their blog.
- Web Hosting by Bluehost. If you’re looking for hosting that is affordable, reliable and user-friendly, then you can’t go wrong with Bluehost. You can get a domain and hosting plan for as little as $3.95 a month. (Can’t afford to pay for a year? Try Hostgator. You’ll pay more each month, but payments are broken down for you.)
- Start building your list with the help of GetResponse. I have gone from using MailChimp to Aweber and now to GetResponse. I found them to be great for email marketing because they have more features at an affordable rate compared to their competitors.
Sell Products on Amazon
Not interested in writing and selling Kindle books on Amazon? Then you don’t have to.
There are so many ways to make money on Amazon including selling products.
Most people know about selling on eBay, but Amazon is a great way to sell products through their Fulfilled by Amazon program.
You can also list products on Amazon and deliver them yourself. Selling on Amazon is great if you can find a niche product that will sell well and allow for a pretty decent profit margin.
This 23-year old makes over $40,000 a month selling products on Amazon. Watch her tell her story below.
Become a Virtual Assistant
If you have a skill that would benefit small business owners, try your hand at becoming a virtual assistant. If you’re pretty techy when it comes to WordPress or graphic design, you can work for bloggers to help them with their business.
Making money as a blogger is a slow process, but in the meantime, you can be a virtual assistant to someone who runs a more established blog.
You can start off with websites such as Fiverr or Indeed to look for virtual assistant jobs.
The following companies help you to find legitimate virtual assistant work, but there are usually costs associated.
More Great Ways to Make Extra Money Each Month
- Ebates. This is one of my favorite reward companies out there. I do most of my shopping through Ebates and earn cash back on all of my purchases. It doesn’t take much for me to earn $100+ each month. Sign up and get $10 added to your account.
- Nielsen Rewards. Sign up with Nielsen Rewards and get paid to register your devices such as your laptop, phone, and tablet. You get paid for them to monitor your internet usage, which helps companies to make decisions to help consumers like you.
- FocusGroup. Share your thoughts and opinions and join a focus group. Find opportunities in your area and earn $75 to $150 for completed surveys.
- GrabPoints. I recently found this program and have fallen in love with it. Another way to earn gift cards by completing offers, watching videos, refer friends and much more. Can sign up through your computer or download the app for your phone.
Driving People Around
If you have time during the day and have a fairly recent 4-door car, you can make money by driving other people around.
Sign up for companies such as Uber or Lyft and make hundreds (even thousands) every month.
You’ll get out of it what you put in it, so your pay will vary. However, as an independent contractor, you’re your own boss and can set up your own hours.
My Uber driver today told me that he doesn’t go home until he meets his daily earnings goal of $150, which is good side income (or full-time for some).
Making money online is not as difficult as it might seem. If you are looking to make a few extra hundred each month, then I highly recommend that you try the money making endeavors on this list.
But don’t quit your day job just yet.
As with most money making opportunities, the amount you make may be minimal. You’ll make more money if you’re consistent and if you pair them up with different opportunities.
Latest posts by Shanetta (see all)
- 9 Ways to Make Money On the Side as a Teacher - August 23, 2017
- 7 Personal Finance Podcasts You Don’t Want to Miss - July 25, 2017
- How to Have a Fabulous Summer on a Budget - June 15, 2017