If so, consider signing up for a link shortening service that actually pays you when people click on your links.
Why Shorten Links?
There are times when you want to share something on social media or on your blog, but don’t want to copy and paste extremely long and hard to remember links.
…if you had an ugly looking affiliate link you wanted to share in a blog post. Or if you are trying to save character space.
Instead, you may prefer to shorten your URL to one that is more manageable for your readers.
Once you create a new link through a link shortening service, you will receive one that is not only much shorter but also directs to the very same place you want to send people to anyway.
So What is a Link Shortening Service?
Ever heard of Bit.ly or Pretty Link?
They provide link shorteners for people who want to share content online.
Sites such as these are great and I use them from time to time.
But, they don’t pay you.
Good news for you is that there are plenty of companies that will. These providers will compensate you to drive traffic to the links you shorten with them.
How Do These Short Links Work
First, you will need to take your long link and have it shortened by the service you select. Once they give you your short link, you will copy and paste it any place you were going to use your long link.
Once someone clicks on your short link, they will be directed to an advertisement page.
The person will have the choice to view the ad or to continue to the primary site you sent them to.
You will be paid by the number of eyeballs that fall on those ads.
Each company has their own specific guidelines, but advertisers pay them to show ads to the traffic you send. It costs you nothing and the link shortening providers in return share their revenue with you.
How is this possible you ask?
It’s similar to how Google Adsense works. Think CPM and CPA if you know anything about ad display networks.
Which means you are usually paid by impressions or actions taken. The advertisers pay networks to show their ads to visitors and they share the revenue with their partners (that’s you).
How to Shorten a Link to Make Money With Online Traffic
From what I can tell from my research of the companies listed below, you can make money with them in at least three ways:
- Short Links. This is obvious, but I’m going to mention it again. You earn money when people click on the links you shortened.
- Website Scripts. Most of these companies have a script you can add to your website. This script will work automatically to monetize your outgoing links. Great if you have a lot of outgoing links.
- Referrals. Link shortening providers will pay you for people you refer to use their service.
What Are the Benefits of Link Shortening Services?
One of the greatest benefits, of course, is that you get to make money with online traffic from your site.
Just like display or affiliate marketing, this is just another way to make money from the content you share with the world.
In addition, these companies have a pretty easy sign-up process so you don’t have to go through hoops like you would with other display or contextual ad networks.
Most, if not all, of the companies on this list include a tracking system for your links.
How Much Will I Get Paid
The pay rate you receive varies from company to company and some countries can expect more money than others.
What I see, however, is that the pay range is usually between $1 – 10 per 1000 impressions or views.
This seems to be pretty close to what you would receive from other display and contextual ad networks, though the quality of ads may (or may not) differ.
You Can Improve Your Earning Potential by:
- Increasing traffic to your blog or link. You will make more money if you have a lot of traffic and use your short links in a variety of places. Consider placing scripts on high traffic pages.
- Refer others to use the link shortening service. Mot companies have a referral program, so if you like it – spread the word.
Where to Use URL Shorteners
You can use your shortened links practically everywhere…blogs, forums, you name it.
However, just because you can use your links everywhere, doesn’t mean you should.
Some platforms, especially social media ones like Twitter and Pinterest will frown against your shortened links.
If they are unfamiliar with your shortened link, they may flag it as spam. This sucks because you want to maximize your earnings as through these link shorteners.
Fortunately for you, you can use those links elsewhere and still make money. Just make sure to read their guidelines regarding URL shorteners first so you won’t get into trouble.
Just make sure to read their guidelines regarding URL shorteners first so you won’t get into trouble.
If you are looking for another way to make money with your online traffic, consider signing up with one (or more) of these link shortening providers.
Where to Shorten Links to Make Money
Here is a list of sites to make money with URL shorteners.
- $5.43 per 1000 views (US)
- 20% referral bonus
- $5 minimum payout balance
- Receive payments within four days of requesting your money
- $2.81 CPM (US)
- 20% referral bonus
- $10 minimum payout balance
- Get paid by PayPal, Payza, Payoneer, and more
- $2.25 per 1000 views
- 15% referral
- Monthly payout when balance reaches $5
- CPA link locking (meaning people will need to unlock one of the offers to move to the next page)
- Payment made 30 days after
- Paid through bank transfer, Payza, and Skrill
- $2 per 1000 views
- $5 minimum cash out
- 20% on referral
- Payment by PayPal and Payoneer
- Up to $5 per 100o views
- $5 minimum payout
- Payment via PayPal and more
- Up to $3 per 1000 views
- $5 minimum payout via PayPal
- $1 to $3 per 1000 views
- $1 – $10 per $1000 views
- Free and premium option available
- 20% referral
- $1 minimum payout
- $5 per 1000 views (US)
- 20% referral
- $5 minimum cashout via PayPal
- $10 minimum payout
- Daily payouts via Paypal, wire transfer, + others
- Sign up bonus of $0.50 for new members
- Can create galleries of links
- $5 minimum cashout
- Up to $12 per 1000 visits
- 20% referral
Is It Worth It?
In my opinion…
Anything that helps you to bring in more income on autopilot is a win-win in my book.
You can also use your links practically anywhere on your blog and social media (even though some platforms may resist them).
If you have been banned by Google or otherwise can’t qualify for the better-paying ad networks, these companies may be a great option for you.
Some people are hesitant to use these link shorteners because their readers might become a little irritated with the ads.
This is a valid point, however, most of the ads are nonintrusive. People expect to see ads online and if they don’t want to see it, they can quickly move on to the content.
If you’re worried about this, just try out different companies until you find one that works best for you and your audience.
You were going to shorten your links anyway, so why not make money doing so?
In case you missed it… 25 Side Hustles to Start Now
Latest posts by Shanetta (see all)
- How to Make Money Blogging So You Can Quit Your Day Job - May 17, 2017
- What To Do When You’re Dead Broke and Need Money Now - May 16, 2017
- Watch TV Free Online cont’d 3 - May 13, 2017